Jack P. Vanden Heuvel
Professor of Molecular Toxicology
325 Life Sciences Building
The primary goal of our research is to examine the effects of certain xenobiotics (drugs, pollutants) and dietary constituents (dietary fatty acids) on the regulation of gene expression in mammalian cells. The class of receptor that we are most interested in are called nuclear receptors and include estrogen-, thyroid-, vitamin D- and peroxisome proliferator-receptors (ER, TR, VDR and PPAR). Through the examination of how exogenous chemicals regulate gene expression we can better appreciate cellular biology and we may ultimately help to explain their toxic, carcinogenic as well as beneficial effects in humans and other animals.
Publications (selected from a total of 66)
- Burns, K.A., and Vanden Heuvel, J.P. (2007). Modulation of PPAR activity by phosphorylation. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, In press.
- Vanden Heuvel, J.P. (2007). The PPAR Resource Page. Biochim Biophys Acta. In Press.
- Gebauer, S.K., Vanden Heuvel, J.P., Kris-Etherton, P.M., Gillies, P.J. (2007) Integration of Molecular Biology and Nutrition: The Role of Nutrigenomics in Optimizing Dietary Guidance in Lipids. Future Lipidomics, In Press
- Woods, C.G., Vanden Heuvel, J.P., and Rusyn, I. (2007) Genomic Profiling in Nuclear Receptor-Mediated Toxicity. Toxicol. Pathol. 35:474-94.
- Dancu, M.B., Berardi D.E., Vanden Heuvel, J.P., Tarbell, J.M. (2007) Atherogenic Endothelial Cell eNOS and ET-1 Responses to Asynchronous Hemodynamics are Mitigated by Conjugated Linoleic Acid. Ann Biomed Eng. 2007 35:1111-9
- Coleman, J.D., Prabhu K.S., Thompson, J.T, Reddy, P.S., Peters, J.M., Peterson, B.R., Reddy, C.C., Vanden Heuvel, J.P. (2007) The oxidative stress mediator 4-hydroxynonenal is an intracellular agonist of the nuclear receptor peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-beta/delta (PPARbeta/delta). Free Radic Biol Med. 2007 Apr 15;42(8):1155-64. Epub 2007 Jan 8.
- Tien, E.S., Hannon, D.B., Thompson, J.T. and Vanden Heuvel, J.P. (2006) Examination of ligand-dependent coactivator recruitment by Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptorα (PPARα) PPAR Research, vol. 2006, Article ID 69612, 9 pages doi:10.1155/PPAR/2006/69612
- Vanden Heuvel, J.P., Thompson, J.T., Frame, S.R. , Gillies, P.J. (2006) Differential Activation of Nuclear Receptors by Normal and Perfluorinated Fatty Acids: A Comparison of Human, Mouse and Rat PPARα,β,γ, LXRβ and RXRα. Toxicol. Sci. 92:476-489
- Gray, J.P., Davis II, J.W., Leas, T.L., Nugent, C.A., Vanden Heuvel, J.P. (2006) The Ribosomal Protein L11 Associates with and Inhibits the Transcriptional Activity of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor- α. Toxicol. Sci. 89: 535-46
- Venugopal, C.S., Polikepahad S., Holmes E.P., Vanden Heuvel J.P., Leas, T.L., Moore, R.M. (2006) Endothelin receptor alterations in equine airway hyperreactivity. Can J Vet Res. 2006 70(1):50-7.
- Rockwell, C.E., Snider, N.T., Thompson, J.T., Vanden Heuvel, J.P., Kaminski, N.E. (2006). Interleukin-2 suppression by 2-arachidonyl glycerol is mediated through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma independently of cannabinoid receptors 1 and 2. Mol Pharmacol. 2006 Jul;70(1):101-11.
- Zhao G, Etherton TD, Martin KR, Vanden Heuvel JP, Gillies PJ, West SG, Kris-Etherton PM.(2005) Anti-inflammatory effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids in THP-1 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 336, 909-917.
- Gray, J.P., Burns, K.A., Leas, T.L., Perdew, G.H., Vanden Heuvel, J.P. (2005) Regulation of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor a (PPARa) by Protein Kinase C (PKC). Biochemistry. 44:10313-21.
- Bility, M.T., Thompson, J.T., McKee, R.H., David, R.M., Butala, J.H., Vanden Heuvel, J.P. and Peters, J.M. (2004). Activation of mouse and human peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) by phthalate monoesters. Tox Sci. 82, 170-182.
- Vanden Heuvel, J.P. (2004) Diet, fatty acids and genes important for heart disease. Curr Atheroscler Rep 6, 432-40.
- Dancu, M.B, Berardi, D.E., Vanden Heuvel, J.P., and Tarbell, J.M. (2004) Asynchronous Hemodynamic Shear Stress and Circumferential Strain Characteristic of Coronary Arteries Reduces eNOS and COX-2 but Induces ET-1 Gene Expression in Endothelial Cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24, 2088-2094.
- Tien ES, Davis JW, Vanden Heuvel JP. (2004) Identification of the CBP/p300 interacting protein CITED2 as a PPARalpha coregulator. J Biol Chem. 279:24053-63.